A radiology nurse at Tartu University Hospital in Tartu, Estonia, was fired after a patient undergoing an MR exam after knee surgery was left inside the machine unattended for more than an hour.
The patient was reportedly recovering from surgery and was slated to be in the MRI bore for several minutes, ERR News, an English-language outlet in Estonia, wrote, but the patient got out of the machine themselves after more than 60 minutes had passed. They said they’d tried pressing a panic button within the machine, but nobody responded until they were calling for help from an adjoining dressing room.
According to the report, the attending nurse responsible for the accident had 15 years’ experience in the field. She neglected to turn the machine off at any point, so it was running for the full hour the patient was inside.
Read the report below: