The Board of Chancellors for the American College of Radiology this week selected five individuals as its annual Gold Medalists and honorary fellows.
ACR—which represents 39,000 radiologists, radiation oncologists and medical physicists—said it plans to honor winners at its annual meeting next May in Washington, D.C. Those receiving the prestigious Gold Medal award next year will include:
- Albert Blumberg, MD: A radiation oncologist, former ACR president and chair of its Commission on Radiation Oncology, board of chancellors member, and president of the Maryland Radiological Society.
- Priscilla Butler: A medical physicist who helped develop the Mammography Quality Standards Act, whose work helped lead to the prototype of ACR Accreditation.
- David Kushner, MD: A former ACR president and chairman of its Commission on Membership and Communication.
In addition, the college also selected two individuals for its 2020 honorary fellowships, according to an Oct. 31 announcement. They are:
- David Lee Ball, MD: A Melbourne, Australia, radiation oncologist recognized for using PET to design treatment protocols for lung cancer. His work also led to the adoption of the “Tumor/Node/Metastasis” classification for chest tumors.
- Luis Marti Bonmati, MD: A Valencia, Spain, diagnostic radiologist who serves as both chair of the Research Committee of the European Society of Radiology and editor-in-chief of Insights into Imaging.